Summer Swimming Pool Safety
Though owning a pool can allow you, your family and your friends to cool off in the summer heat, it also comes with serious responsibilities. After all, swimming pools can present significant safety hazards and potential liability risks. As such, consider these precautions to make sure your friends and family can enjoy your pool safely.
Swimming Pool Safety Tips
- Install a fence with self-locking and -closing gates to completely isolate your pool from your house and the areas around it.
- Only allow trusted individuals in the pool area, such as family and friends. Never let strangers swim in your pool.
- Instruct children and guests to avoid running in the pool area, as this can easily lead to slips and falls.
- Do not leave your children or guests alone in the event that they would need assistance.
- Teach pool rules to your children and guests and post them in a highly visible location.
- Tell children and guests to avoid sticking their fingers in the pool grates and filters.
- Clear the pool area for at least 30 minutes if you hear thunder or see lightning.
In an Emergency
- Take lifeguard, CPR and first-aid courses in case anyone needs assistance while on your property. Once old enough, your children should receive this same training.
- Enroll your children in swimming classes led by a qualified swim instructor.
- Keep rescue equipment and a cellphone close to the pool area so you can call 911.
- Place emergency numbers and CPR instructions close to the pool.
Ensure Adequate Supervision
When hosting a pool party at home, it’s wise to assign several adults to the job of “lifeguard” for all swimmers. These individuals shouldn’t drink alcohol and should stay on constant alert for swimmers in distress. That way, you can ensure a quick response in the event of an emergency.
EEOC Releases Strategic Enforcement Plan for FYs 2024-28
The SEP establishes the agency’s subject matter priorities as it works to prevent and remedy
Draft Instructions for 2023 ACA Reporting Released
The IRS has released draft instructions for 2023 Affordable Care Act (ACA) reporting under Internal
CVSA Reveals 2023 Operation Safe Driver Week Results
Operation Safe Driver Week—an annual campaign conducted by the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA)— took