March 9, 2021
The Connection Between Financial and Physical Wellness
We all know that financial stress can be a burden, but it can also have a negative effect on your health. Financial stress often causes anxiety, depression and hopelessness, and that stress can also contribute to heart disease, high blood pressure, insomnia, more frequent colds and minor illnesses.
Here are healthy ways to cope with that stress and make it more manageable:
- Recognize your unhealthy coping methods and find alternatives, such as meditation, exercising or talking with a friend.
- Take care of yourself. Get enough sleep, eat right, drink plenty of water and exercise regularly.
- Talk to an advisor regarding your financial troubles. You won’t be able to fix them overnight, but having a plan of action can help you feel in control and minimize feelings of hopelessness.
Protect Your Health—and Your Wallet—While Grocery Shopping
Eating a well-balanced diet is a key component of living a long, healthy life. Many Americans think that eating healthy means they have to empty their wallets, which isn’t necessarily the truth. Keep the following money-saving tips in mind next time you’re grocery shopping:
- Make a weekly meal plan. Before you go to the store, think about what meals and snacks you want for the week. Read recipes thoroughly so you can make an accurate list of everything you need, reducing the risk that you’ll have to run back to the store later in the week.
- Create a list—and stick to it. Make a detailed list of what you need to buy before you go to the store. When you get there, don’t buy anything besides what’s on the list.
- Plan where you’re going to shop. Many grocery stores run sales or offer coupons for various healthy foods. Check out the ads and plan your grocery list around what’s on sale.
- Shop seasonally. Fresh fruits and vegetables that are in season are usually easier to get and may be a lot less expensive.
- Cook at home as often as possible. Many foods prepared at home are cheaper and more nutritious. Go back to the basics and find a few simple and healthy recipes that your family enjoys.
Bulgar Chickpea Salad
If the recipe link doesn’t work, copy and paste this into your browser: http://go.seubert.com/l/654093/2021-01-04/hhpsvh/654093/1609778159HnD0gUK0/Bulgar_Chickpea_Salad.pdf